Friday, December 30, 2005

Golmaal Vs ThilluMullu

Well, this has been quite an arguement that I have been having with my friends here at NTU. Recently I saw both these versions and I liked both the versions.

I am a diehard fan of KB and Hrishida is one of the most respected directors in Hindi Cinema. Both of them did a great job in adapting this hilarious story for their audiences.

When it comes to Golmaal, the winner is who else but Utpal Dutt !! The very appearance of this man on screen evokes laughter. Such a wonderful actor. Added to this Amol Palekar's innocent face, Kishore's voice on Aanewaala Pal, DinaPathak as the Mom, this movie was a classic. What made this movie closer to heart besides comedy ? I should say the ease with which the story moves. There are no hiccups, no big stars.. all pure unadulterated fun with no cinematic cliches.
The story goes like a stream and you enjoy it thoroughly aaraamse like a three course meal....
Rahi Mazoom Reja's dialogues need a mention here. Lovely film.

When it comes to Thillu Mullu, it is Thengaai who donned the role of Sri Ramachandra Murthy who stole the show....Man, the interview scene is something that still evokes laughter....

Thengaai: Mr. Subramanya Bharathy, unga pera ketta udane udambellam pullarikkuthu sir.. ungalukkum avara maathiri kavithai ezhutha theriyuma ?
Interviewee: Palakkam illeenga...
Thengaai : Ennathu Palakkam illiya.... ungalukku intha "ZHa'na varatha ?
Interviewee: Amaam sir... Konjam kastapadum...
Thengaai: Ennathu Kasta paduma.. ungalukku appa "SHa'naavum varaatha.... enga naan solratha sollunga paapom....Oru kattu sullila oru sulli kona sulli...
Interviewee: venaam sir.. risku....
Thengaai: Shanavum varathu, zhanavum varathu, peru mattum Subramanya Bharathy..Neer intha naattukkum avarukkum peria Drogam Panreer ayya....Muthalla pera maathum...
Interviewee: call me short name Suppy sir.....

It was a laughter riot. But in Tamil, there were some additional stuff for Rajini's sake. Though Rajini did a great job, he could not exude that Amol Palekar's innocence on screen. Superstar was still superstar....But a great job nonetheless.. What can I say abt Sowkar ? She won it in that Bathroom entry scene.. Meenakshi Duraiswami was amazing....Add to this SPB's Raagangal Pathinaaru.... and Kamal's entry at the climax....That is KB's touch, you know !


Comparing both I should say I have given lots of points on KB's movie than Hrishida's.
But for the originality of the idea, lack of star value and a great cast, my heart goes for Golmaal.

I should say Thillumullu outscores Golmaal on the humour front. Because I still roll on the floor laughing when I think of KB's movie.When I watch Hrishida's movie, I just enjoy and smile.....

The joy of seeing someone getting fooled always has your rib tickling.

But I had lots of expectations on the next movie of Hrishida, which was Naram Garam. Swarup Sampat was simply too good. It had the same cast of Golmaal. But the movie with the presence of ShotGun Sinha, was a little disappointing.

If you could get a grab of these movies during a weekend, I assure you that you wont end up feeling disappointed..

So long..

Aane waala pal...Jaanewaala hai......

1 comment:

Nth Dimension said...

Dude the only reliable comparison on the two movies can be made by a non-native speaker of either language. Otherwise, our inherent biases, however much we may try to avoid them, will be a part of how we see the movie.

Having said that, I have to say too, I enjoyed Thillu Mullu more than Golmaal.