Saturday, April 22, 2006

The Baingan Barta experience

It was a four day official trip for me to Kuantan. Kuantan is a small town on the shores of South china sea in Malaysia and it is close to 250 kms away from KL. Good beach, Jungles surrounding the town( The place is flooded with Monkeys) make it an ideal place for a perfect weekend.

I happened to come across an Indian Bistro (restaurant & Pub) and was very happy that I could locate that for my very first dinner at Malaysia. Why is that I end up looking for an Indian restaurant anywhere I landup ? The whole world when travels around, tries different cuisines. I and some good old Indians are so nationalistic that we cant just imagine trying out any other cuisine.

It was run by an Indian from Singapore. I went in and asked for Chappathis and Baingan Barta. After sometime, I end up getting the dish and to my surprise all I could find in that dish was just Aloo. I searched for Baingan and to my relief was able to see four or five small pieces of the egg plant. Phew !!! When he said his roots are from Delhi, I should have guessed it...I was very hungy, hence did not complain and ended up eating the chappathis with the Aloo Baingan that I got.

The next day also it was the same. I went asked for Dal Makhni and imagine what I got ? I ended up getting Dal Fry. This time I politely told the owner that he should consider changing his menu card. Then he explained his entire story as how he was running the restaurant and pub separately and how he had got chefs from India. Now the business is not doing that well. He just had one chef and uses the same old menu. Hence the shock. Hmm..Not even an apology....Long way to go in terms of service. He knows that I will come to him without fail in my next trip. He had even had the guts to say that I should help him out by telling my colleagues (word of mouth..hee hee) about his Bistro and the craziest thing was that when he said "Hotel mein Dandora vandora Pito Yaar. Public Aati hai, aur Upar chinese restaurant chali jaati hai. Tell the receptionist about this wonderful Indian restaurant".

2 comments:

Mann Sahib said...

i heard about the experience and now i get to read bout it too. btw, just saw this nice looking chick (south india, homely homely, wearing a slawar kurta) enter grad hall with her lugage. So shes definitely neeeew. Plus, she had a violin along. Imagine the combo of violin and mridangam my friend. Hey thanks for the message on my blog and the good wishes. Unfortunately the bloody settings are a bit warped. So it kinda got automatically removed. M trying to work on it. else, shall c=have to call u to fix it.

Sherios

Nth Dimension said...

Elay Machi,

Naan unga oorukku varaen intha weekend...meet panna chance irukka???