Friday, March 03, 2006

Free rider problem

It is that time of the trimester again. The first week is over. You need to form groups in each of the subjects for case studies, projects and simulation games. After having been in MBA for two trimesters, I have become pretty careful about choosing my team members. While it always helps you out to pair with someone in the same hostel as you are, it also has its pitfalls. You end up losing a good opportunity to network with people from different cultures and also you end up facing the free rider problem. After observing people over the last two trimesters, I decided well in advance this trimester as who my team members should not be. Well, this may sound harsh on my part, but T3 and T4 are really going to be busy trimesters as we have the extra load of job search alongwith studies. You would definitely not like to team with someone who enjoys a free ride.

Things are taking a bright turn these days. I have taken four courses this trimester which include
a. Stat & Research Methods (By Das) - The guy is cool and his range of interest fascinates me.
b. Mergers & Acquisitions (By Boyd) - What can I say about him and the course ? He does not cease to amaze me.. A thorough Professional... He comes prepared for every class and gives out handouts for the entire class about the current global M&A scenario. Hats off !!!
c. Marketing Mgmt (By Krishna) - He is cool. Enjoyed his session y'day. Has a good voice modulation..

Some of my batch guys have landed up in jobs. Arun Nair has landed up in Media industry, I am not sure of the name of the company and Mani has landed up in AC Nielson. Congrats to you folks. Most of our senior guys are placed, except for a few. I pray that they also land up in their jobs of choice soon.

While the one day series win made me sit and take note of the Indian team, the third day of the first test against England reassured my faith that Indian batsmen always succumb to decent swing bowlers. Good fight by Kaif and Kumble though. Barring Dravid and Sehwag, our batsmen have not been consistent. Infact these are the two who have been instrumental in India's wins over the past two years. Performances from VVS, Sourav, Sachin are happening once in a while. Well, the yardstick for selection should be the same. Be it dada or VVS or Sachin...If Dada is shown the doors in favour of the youth, then VVS/Sachin should be treated in the same way. Will the selectors listen ?

"Aadathu asangathu vaa..." - (Listen to this song sung by Maharajapuram Santhanam. It is bliss. )

No comments: