Friday, September 15, 2006

Two states - Two different Scenarios ?

Very recently my parents have applied for passport. Here is my Dad, a Hindi Teacher in town, well known to everyone, living in the same town for the past 40 years had to struggle for getting his work done. These things are not new to me. I myself was at the receiving end once. But some of these guys had infact studied in the same school where my Dad served. It hurt. Maybe I can take solace from the fact that these guys are impartial to anyone and everyone when it comes to getting things done from them :). I called up my Dad and asked him to see Lage Raho. I was giving him hints that he should have followed the Munna way to get his work done. His reply was clear. He called these folks as "Anukool Shatru" and one cannot escape from them. Maybe I got too carried away from the movie or my current Singapore environment makes me long to see such a governance in my motherland too.

Talking about governance, I got to know a very heartening news from AK. His mom had to get close to 10K from the Tax Dept back, forwhich the authorities demanded 10% of the amount. His mom went and met the tax officer, where she was welcomed by the officer with a cup of tea and her work was done in a matter of minutes. The reason given is that the Govt has to incur interest expense when the public money is held by the Govt for a longtime. Such long pending amounts are tied to performances of authorities. This came as a pleasant surprise to me. An Indian Govt organisation where performance holds the key. It was difficult for me to believe. But it is happening. Such surprises make my day.

After watching the movie Lage Raho, I sat back and pondered about the movie's concept and its application to reality. Agreed, the movie had its cinematic elements. But the concept really had its effect on me. If confronted with a similar scenario, will I go the Mahatma/Munna way ? Dont think so. Why ? Probably I am a coward to follow what the Bapu has followed. I dont have the will or patience to face the struggle. I will crib, cry, shout..but will I remain tough ? Dont know !
Imagining this guy following his philosophies far away in South Africa and back in India (sorry tau). Takes some guts. Dont care what the saffron lovers say, but Bapu has remained numero uno in my heart and will remain so forever !

Too heavy a post... Chill guys... Go and watch Lage Raho... Watch it for Bapu or Sarkeshwar or Sunju Dada or Lucky Singh .....Arey yaar, be there for Vidya Balan atleast :)

1 comment:

Vijay said...

Corruption in India is laced with strong sentiments. If you show strong will power and refuse to budge from your stance to pay bribe and threaten the guy of going to higher ups, you can be sure he will play his E-card. Emotinal cards that make you believe that he indeed has a lot of expenses and ends to meet which make him do all this and that.....Well, we Indians obviously melt....So that makes corruption that much more difficult to eliminate....